Landscapes of Catalonia
Activity: Group excursion with coach. Departure time: 07:45h. Days and dates: From 1st April to 31th October: Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday Duration: 11h 30 min. approx. Departure point: Balmes Street, 5 - Julia Travel Office.Conditions: advanced reservatios required: 24h. Cancellation fees: 100% for less than 24h. notice or no shows. Languages: Spanish and English. Blackout dates: 11 Sep.
WHY SHOULD YOU GO
Discover Girona, one of the most beautiful medieval cities in Catalonia. Take a walking tour of its Old Town and Jewish Quarter, see the Cathedral and the old city walls. Explore it on your own during the free time. Take the cog-wheel train up to Montserrat. Visit the Black Madonna known as La Moreneta in the Basilica or taste some of the local liquors made in the area. Explore the area on your own.
Leave our office in central Barcelona on an air-conditioned coach. Sit back and relax on the journey to one of the most beautiful cities of Catalonia. After a 1-and-a-half-hour drive on the highway, you will arrive to Girona.
On arrival, follow your guide to the city center for a two-hour walking tour. Discover the Old Town and learn about some of the myths and legends related to the city. Stroll down la Rambla, see some of the most important plazas of Girona and explore its winding alleys. Will you recognize the construction by Eiffel near the Onyar Houses above the river?
See some of the locations where the HBO hit series Game of Thrones filmed many scenes of its sixth season. Admire the exterior of the magnificent Cathedral (SPOILER ALERT!) destroyed on the TV series. Walk along a part of the city medieval walls and marvel at the amazing views of the old town. Originally built in the XIV century, the old walls were destroyed to expand the city in the XIX century. Today, due to the reconstruction of the missing parts it is possible to walk along them.
Take advantage of the free time you will be given after the guided tour and visit the Cathedral on your own or grab a quick bite to eat.
Check in again at our office. Meet your guide and board an air-conditioned coach to Montserrrat.
After a 1h drive on the highway, board the cog-wheel train up the mountain and enjoy the amazing views. Admire the Mountain’s peculiar morphology, which comes from the Catalan words Mont (mountain) and Serrat (serrated). World-famous for its rocky geography, Montserrat beautiful scenery was declared National Park in 1987 to protect its natural and cultural wealth.
Follow your local guide through the site and learn about the history and architectural style of the Monastery. A community of 80 monks currently lives and follow the rule of Saint Benedict in Montserrat. Fall in love with the Gothic and Renaissance details of the basilica and sanctuary. Learn about the legend of the miraculous apparition of the Madonna and Child in the cave of Santa Cova. To this day their wood carving is kept in the Church of the monastery, which you will be able to visit. The figure is popularly known as La Moreneta (The Black Madonna) as a result of a varnish reaction.
Besides the main area, there are a great number of small churches and trails you can follow. You will be given free time to taste the finest liquors, shop for locally produced treats or visit the audio visual exhibition once our guided tour finishes.
AFTERNOON TOUR – PLEASE NOTE
- Check in at the Julià Travel office in Balmes Street nº5 is at 14.45PM.
- See the Cathedral of Santa Maria Girona. Of Gothic style, it has the widest nave in the world.
- Stroll through the cobbled streets of the Jewish Quarter in Girona, one of the best preserved ones in Europe. Marvel at the endless number of details of its narrow streets.
- Discover the significant history of Montserrat and enjoy the amazing views.
- See the Black Madonna popularly known as La Moreneta, located in the Basilica of Montserrat.
- Transportation on an air conditioned coach.
- Local guide.
- Tour operated in both Spanish and English.
- Radio guide system.
- Cog-wheel train one way ride in Montserrat.
- Taste of 4 typical liquors of the area.
- Entrance to the audio visual exhibition in Montserrat “Espai Audio visual Montserrat”.
- Exhibition based on three fundamental pillars: the mountain, the monastery and the sanctuary.
- Discounts at some of the main attractions:
- 20% off in the Sant Joan Funicular ticket.
- 10% off in the Museum entrance fee.
- 10% off in the buffet restaurant at the “Mirador dels Apostols”.
- Food and drinks, unless specified.
- Hotel pick up and drop off.
- Admission to Girona’s Cathedral.
- Please note: Radio guide system is offered to groups of more than 5 people.
- The duration of the tour includes transportation.
- A dress code is required to enter the Basilica in Montserrat. Knees and shoulders MUST be covered for both men and women. No flip flops permitted.
- Queues to see the Black Madonna may occur depending on season.
- Please note this activity includes walking long distances. Wear appropriate attire.
- Julià Travel reserves the right to change the itinerary or cancel the tour due to events being celebrated in the city or force majeure reasons.